Re: FW: how many connections can i use????

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: FW: how many connections can i use????
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Edmundo Robles L.
> <erobles@sensacd.com.mx> wrote:
>>> Operative system: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
>> --> double egad (and a bit at odds with your sig...)
>>
>> jeje  :-) yes , this is because in my work   we use SCO but personally i  use ubuntu on my desktop pc and laptop.
>
> This would be one instance where you could quite possibly convince
> someone that moving to something other than SCO with an old version of
> pgsql would be a (very very) good idea.

If "it's ancient, insecure, hard to run on modern hardware, hard to get
skilled people for, a huge waste of time to get modern software on, and
inferior in almost all ways to zero-license-fee alternatives like
BSD/Linux/Solaris" doesn't get them, maybe the fact that it's about to
go from dead to fossilized might make the business types wake up:

http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/05/06/scochapter7motion.pdf

FYI - I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 VM running a business critical
application here, so I'm familiar with SCO OpenServer. The app was
compiled for Microsoft Xenix, the source code is long-lost, and it's
running in OpenServer's Xenix emulation mode. At least my employer
recognises the problem, and is paying me to rewrite the application from
scratch with Java + PostgreSQL to run on any modern platform and require
only open source tools and libraries.

Try to convince yours. It'll save them plenty of time and money moving
to practically any modern platform. If they're scared of open source
platforms, (a) it doesn't make sense to be using PostgreSQL, and (b)
they can just pay for Solaris x86.

--
Craig Ringer

Сообщение: Re: FW: how many connections can i use????
Сообщение: Re: FW: how many connections can i use????