Re: migrating from MSSQL

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: migrating from MSSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Eugene . wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been tasked with evaluating the feasibility of migrating our
> in-house application from MSSQL to PostgreSQL. It is fairly old and
> has lots of stored procedures, which is why we need to think carefully
> before making the switch. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
> What are some of the things to watch out for?

from what all I gather, transact*SQL is -way- different, so you'll be
pretty much rewriting your procedures, you might consider just
rearchitecting the whole application.    A lot of people are moving
their business logic out of stored procedures and into a application
server, programmed in a conventional language, such as Java, or Ruby, or
whatever, and just using stored procedures where it makes sense for
performance.

> Secondly, which commercial support vendor would you recommend? I found
> EnterpriseDB and CommandPrompt, but I don't know anything about them.
> Any other candidates?

Those are both fine upstanding members of the postgres community, each
employs a number of primary project developers, and both have a long
history of providing support.