Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От Dave Held
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Assuming that a single controller would be able to service 8 drives
without delays.  The fact that you want the controller to have fairly
intimate knowledge of the drives implies that this is a semi-soft
solution requiring some fairly fat hardware compared to firmware that is
hard-wired for one drive.  Note that your controller has to be 8x as fast
as the on-board drive firmware.  There's definitely a balance there, and
it's not entirely clear to me where the break-even point is.

> Therefore I would suggest it is something that should be investigated.
> After all, why implemented TCQ on each drive, if it can be handled more
> effeciently at the other end by the controller for less money?!

Because it might not cost less. ;)  However, I can see where you might
want the controller to drive the actual hardware when you have a RAID
setup that requires synchronized seeks, etc.  But in that case, it's
doing one computation for multiple drives, so there really is a win.

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377