Re: How to count from a second table in an aggregate query?

От Steve Midgley
Тема Re: How to count from a second table in an aggregate query?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Erik Jones wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Steve Midgley wrote:
>
>> I want to generate an analysis report that counts the values in two
>> separate tables. I've been able to accomplish what I want with two
>> separate queries that I then merge together in Excel. Essentially
>> what I need is a "horizontal UNION" statement (or something like that).
>>
>> get a FK id and count of a certain column in one table, based on some
>> criteria
>> -> for each FK id, get the count of a different column in a different
>> table
>> Display the counts from both queries side-by-side along with the FK
>> id's in a single result set
>
> Joining against a subquery for the second count does the trick:
>
> select src_contact_id, count(log_type), cp.count
> from contact_log ,
>     (select contact_id, count(property_id)
>       from contact_property
>       group by contact_id) as cp
> where src_contact_id = cp.contact_id
>     and log_type in ('web', 'detail')
> group by src_contact_id, cp.count
> order by src_contact_id
>
>  src_contact_id | count | count
> ----------------+-------+-------
>               1 |     5 |     4
>               2 |     3 |     2

Thanks Erik! This is perfect. Oliveiros showed me another neat solution
a while back that involved a select statement in the from clause, but I
kind filed that solution mentally as a cool parlor trick. Now I see that
I'm going to have to learn and study this form of SQL more closely, as
it's extremely flexible and powerful.

Thanks for the very complete and patiently instructive response - it
makes perfect sense. I'll work to share this along as I go.

Steve

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Erik Jones
Сообщение: Re: How to count from a second table in an aggregate query?
От: Andreas Joseph Krogh
Сообщение: Re: Re: SQL to Check whether "AN HOUR PERIOD" is between start and end timestamps