Re: Is it bad sorting in UTF ??

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Is it bad sorting in UTF ??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> wstrzalka wrote:
>> Why PG sort's my data in case insensitive manner?
>
>> masterdb=# select name, setting from pg_settings WHERE name ilike 'lc
>> %';
>>     name     |   setting
>> -------------+-------------
>>  lc_collate  | en_US.UTF-8
>
> Because that's what en_US.UTF-8 does. If you want "computer-style"
> sorting choose the "C" locale. You'll need to dump all your databases an
> re-initdb to do that I'm afraid. I believe 8.4 is going to allow
> different locales for each database though.

Even if it were slower, having a way to specify that sorting be WITH a
particular collation method/locale would be appealing.

I guess this could be done with a custom operator/opclass implementing
non-libc-based sorting and collation, which is probably where PostgreSQL
will land up heading in the end.

--
Craig Ringer