Re: Postgres: Starting Server in background mode

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Postgres: Starting Server in background mode
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> The problem here is, Postgres is not an embedded database but really a
> database management system. Therefore trying to bundle it with a desktop
> application will usually cause more headaches. I'd suggest installing
> Postgres as central service

Note that Windows is designed to allow applications to create services,
start them, stop them, etc. You should have *NO* problems having your
application install PostgreSQL as a service, and start/stop it on
demand. You can do this through the command line (net.exe), the Services
snap-in (services.msc), or via Win32 API calls from your application.

Doing anything else is trying to re-invent the Windows service mechanism
- poorly - and is really just NOT a good idea.

--
Craig Ringer