Re: Raid 10 chunksize

От Stef Telford
Тема Re: Raid 10 chunksize
Дата
Re: Raid 10 chunksize
Список pgsql-performance

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Scott Carey wrote:
>>
>> A little extra info here >>  md, LVM, and some other tools do not
>>  allow the file system to use write barriers properly.... So
>> those are on the bad list for data integrity with SAS or SATA
>> write caches without battery back-up. However, this is NOT an
>> issue on the postgres data partition.  Data fsync still works
>> fine, its the file system journal that might have out-of-order
>> writes.  For xlogs, write barriers are not important, only
>> fsync() not lying.
>>
>> As an additional note, ext4 uses checksums per block in the
>> journal, so it is resistant to out of order writes causing
>> trouble.  The test compared to here was on ext4, and most likely
>> the speed increase is partly due to that.
>>

> [Looks at  Stef's  config - 2x 7200 rpm SATA RAID 0]  I'm still
> highly suspicious of such a system being capable of outperforming
> one with the same number of (effective) - much faster - disks
> *plus* a dedicated WAL disk pair... unless it is being a little
> loose about fsync! I'm happy to believe ext4 is better than ext3 -
> but not that much!
>
> However, its great to have so many different results to compare
> against!
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Hello Mark,
    For the record, this is a 'base' debian 5 install (with openVZ but
postgreSQL is running on the base hardware, not inside a container)
and I have -explicitly- enabled sync in the conf. Eg;

fsync = on                                            # turns forced
synchronization on or off
synchronous_commit = on                 # immediate fsync at commit
#wal_sync_method = fsync                # the default is the first option

    Infact, if I turn -off- sync commit, it gets about 200 -slower-
rather than faster. Curiously, I also have an intel x25-m winging it's
way here for testing/benching under postgreSQL (along with a vertex
120gb). I had one of the nice lads on the OCZ forum bench against a
30gb vertex ssd, and if you think -my- TPS was crazy.. you should have
seen his.

postgres@rob-desktop:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/pgbench -c 24 -t
12000 test_db
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 100
number of clients: 24
number of transactions per client: 12000
number of transactions actually processed: 288000/288000

    (Nb; Thread here;
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54038 )

    Curiously, I think with SSD's there may have to be an 'off' flag
if you put the xlog onto an ssd. It seems to complain about 'too
frequent checkpoints'.

    I can't wait for -either- of the drives to arrive. I want to see
in -my- system what the speed is like for SSD's. The dataset I have to
work with is fairly small (30-40GB) so, using an 80GB ssd (even a few
raided) is possible for me. Thankfully ;)

    Regards
    Stef
(ps. I should note, running postgreSQL in a prod environment -without-
a nice UPS is never going to happen on my watch, so, turning on
write-cache (to me) seems like a no-brainer really if it makes this
kind of boost possible)