Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Harald Armin Massa, 17.03.2009 15:00:
>> That is: what table size would you or anybody consider really,
>> really large actually?
>
> I recently attended and Oracle training by Tom Kyte and he said
> (partially joking though) that a database is only large when the size
> is measured in terrabytes :) So really, really large would mean
> something like 100 petabytes
>

> My personal opinion is that a "large" database has more than ~10
> million rows in more than ~10 tables.
>
> Thomas

I would say that as far as GPS data goes the street maps of the world
would be pretty big.

openstreetmap.org is still a work in progress but their current db dumps
gzip down to 6.4GB. It was a while back that I noseyed around with it
but I do recall that it compressed well and was very large uncompressed.
Don't recall how many rows it contained.

I wonder what an almost complete world street map like google maps comes
in at?

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz