Re: I don't want to back up index files

От Glen Parker
Тема Re: I don't want to back up index files
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Glen Parker <glenebob@nwlink.com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> ... AFAICS what
>>> Glen is proposing is to not WAL-log index changes, and with that any
>>> crash no matter how minor would have to invalidate indexes.
>
>> Nooo...!  This has nothing to do with WAL logging index changes.
>
> How so?  In any PITR-based situation it seems to me you need to worry
> about the WAL bulk a lot more than the bulk of the base backup.

It isn't the bulk so much as the amount of time, and the impact to the
running system during that time, that it takes to execute the base backup.

I haven't noticed any real impact related to compressing and exporting
WAL files.

Anyway, more to the point, I'm not knowingly proposing anything that
should cause reduced system reliability in the event of a crash.

-Glen