Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1710)

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1710)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gregory Stark escribió:
>> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:

>>> This again falls into the category of trying to have more fine-grained
>>> permissions than vanilla PostgreSQL has....
>> Would it make sense to instead of removing and deferring pieces bit by bit to
>> instead work the other way around? Extract just the part of the patch that
>> maps SELinux capabilities to Postgres privileges as a first patch? Then
>> discuss any other parts individually at a later date?
>
> I think that makes sense.  Implement just a very basic core in a first
> patch, and start adding checks slowly, one patch each.  We have talked
> about "incremental patches" in the past.

+1 from an end-user's point of view too.

I'm quite aware of the postgres privileges, and if there were a MAC
system of enforcing those I'd be reasonably likely to enable them
right away.

On the other hand, if SEPostgres initially comes with a different set
of privileges that don't map to what I'm already using, I'm much less
likely to spend the time to figure out the two different systems.

And I do see row-level restrictions (and the other access restrictions
mentioned in this thread) as quite orthogonal to MAC vs DAC. Would it
be cool to have row-level permissions in postgres?  Sure, as an abstract
concept.   Do I have any use for them?   Seeing that I'm getting by
without them, the answer must be "not now".