Re: Renaming sequence auto generated by SERIAL type don't update pg_attrdef

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: Renaming sequence auto generated by SERIAL type don't update pg_attrdef
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dickson S. Guedes" <listas@guedesoft.net> writes:
>> Shouldn't the JDBC driver use another query instead that, since docs
>> alerts[1] to this problem?
>
> What's the default value being used for anyway?  If it's to determine
> which sequence is associated with the column, I think you shouldn't be
> looking at pg_attrdef at all; you should look for a dependent sequence
> via pg_depend.  But maybe it's only being used to check if the column
> has a default, in which case the possible staleness of the string
> value isn't important.

I'm guessing that particular query is from
DatabaseMetaData.getColumns(), which returns amongst other things:

13. COLUMN_DEF String => default value (may be null)

(yes, that's the sum total of the JDBC documentation about that piece of
metadata)

-O