Re: pl/php for windows

От Andreas Wenk
Тема Re: pl/php for windows
Дата
Список pgsql-php

Andrew McMillan schrieb:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 01:34 -0500, Rodrigo E. De León Plicet wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
>>> (...) we have a company policy forbidding stored procedures (...)
>> Why would that be?
>>
>> Just curious...
>
> I can't speak for Bob, and they probably have different reasons, but
> personally I almost always only write stored procedures in SQL or
> PL/PgSQL, and I think very hard about it before deciding to do so, and
> try and be careful to design to a minimal functionality that can then be
> used in normal SQL.
>
> There can be memory effects from loading a large interpreter into a
> PostgreSQL client, which can cause pain if you have many connections,
> but mostly I don't trust the software versions to become wildly out of
> sync and multiply the installation & maintenance complexity.
>
> PostgreSQL also can have some problems planning queries containing
> functions.

Hi Andrew,

woooh .... sounds like giving the advice to reduce the usage of user
defined functions to a minimum. But in my opinion it should be a good
idea to move functionality to the database in case you work with a
Language like PHP. As I recognized it is a good idea to do so 'cause the
database is often faster than PHP.

I am speaking of PL/pgsql and SQL udf's.

Did I misunterstand you? Are there other experiences? In which cases is
the planner forced to have problems with statements containing udf's?

Cheers

Andy