Re: strange performance problem

От Linos
Тема Re: strange performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton escribió:
> Linos wrote:
>> Richard Huxton escribió:
>>> OK, so:
>>> 1. No "foto"     - both quick
>>> 2. psql + "foto" - both slow
>>> 3. QT + "foto"   - slow only on server
>> 1.No "foto"                     -both quick but still a noticeable
>> difference between them 2ms develoment - 30ms server
>> 2. psql + "foto"                -both quick really, they are about 70ms,
>> not bad giving that foto are bytea with small png images.
>
> Ah, sorry - I read the psql timings as 72 thousand ms (72 seconds) - of
> course you're using European decimal marks.
>
>> 3. QT or WXWindows + "foto"       -slow only one server yes.
>>
>>> The bit that puzzles me is why both are slow in #2 and not in #3.
>
> OK - well, the fact that both psql are fast means there's nothing too
> wrong with your setup. It must be something to do with the application
> libraries.
>
>> After the vacuum full verbose and reindex still the same problem (i had
>> tried the vacuum before).
>
> OK. Worth ruling it out.
>
>> 1- The same in the two machines, tcp/ip with localhost.
>
> Hmm...
>
>> 2- I am exactly the same code in the two machines and the same pgadmin3
>> version too.
>
> Good. We can rule that out.
>
>> 3- Ever the entire result set.
>
> Good.
>
>> 4- I am using es_ES.UTF8 in the two machines
>
> Good.
>
>> What can be using wxwindows and QT to access postgresql that psql it is
>> not using, libpq?
>
> Well, I'm pretty sure that pgadmin will be using libpq at some level,
> even if there is other code above it.
>
> Either:
>
> 1. One machine (the fast one) is actually using unix sockets and not
> tcp/ip+localhost like you think.
> 2. The networking setup is different on each.
> 3. Something your code is doing with the bytea data is slower on one
> machine than another. I seem to remember that pgadmin used to be quite
> slow at displaying large amounts of data. They did some work on that,
> but it might be that your use-case still suffers from it.
>
> For #1 try the psql test again, but with "-h localhost" and "-h /tmp"
> (or whatever directory your unix socket is in - might be
> /var/run/postgresql or similar too).

Ok, thanks for the trick now i know where to search, after trying with -h
localhost psql it is slow too in the server from 80,361 with \timing to 4259,453
using -h localhost. Any ideas what can be the problem here? i am going to make
what you suggest and capture analyze the traffic, after find the hole i have
tried in other debian server with the same kernel 2.6.26 and i have the same
problem (my development machine it is Arch Linux with 2.6.28).

Regards,
Miguel Angel.