Re: Doubts about EvalPlanQual

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Doubts about EvalPlanQual
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jacky Leng wrote:
>> Tuples with an aborted xmin can be vacuumed right away. When we're
>> following the update chain in EvalPlanQual, it's possible that the updater
>> has aborted, the updated dead tuple is vacuumed away, and the slot is
>> reused for another unrelated tuple.
>
> But if the updater aborted, how can EvalPlanQual be called?
> In this situation (updater aborted), EvalPlanQual's caller (such as
> ExecUpdate and ExecDelete)
> should get "HeapTupleMayBeUpdated", rather than "HeapTupleUpdated".

Well, consider this update chain:

A -> B -> C

If A is the tuple visible to the snapshot of the updating query, and the
updater of (A->B) has committed, heap_update/delete call in
ExecUpdate/Delete will return HeapTupleUpdate.

Now that think about this more, I don't see either how that check in
EvalPlanQual could ever be true.