Partial index usage

От Laszlo Nagy
Тема Partial index usage
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi All,

I have these indexes on a table:

CREATE INDEX uidx_product_partno_producer_id
  ON product
  USING btree
  (partno, producer_id);

CREATE INDEX idx_product_partno
  ON product
  USING btree
  (partno);

Can I safely delete the second one? Will postgresql use
(partno,producer_id) when it only needs to order by partno? (partno is a
text field, producer_id is int4). Index sizes: 172MB and 137MB. I guess
if I only had one index, it would save memory and increase performance.

Another pair of incides, 144MB and 81MB respecively:

CREATE INDEX idx_product_producer_uploads
  ON product
  USING btree
  (producer_id, am_upload_status_id);

CREATE INDEX idx_product_producer_id
  ON product
  USING btree
  (producer_id);

am_upload_status_id is also an int4. Can I delete the second index
without performance drawback?

Thanks,

   Laszlo