Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf

От Andrew Chernow
Тема Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Chernow wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I'll review this in more detail when I have a chance, but it certainly
>>> won't be committable without doc changes, and it's probably best if
>>> you write those and include them in the patch.
>>>

> One problem with this patch is that a libpq app using PQinitSSL(0) is
> under the assumption that this shuts off ssl init and crypto init.  That
> app might be doing its own crypto init which would be overwritten by
> libpq because the app is unaware of PQinitCrypto (if and when it
> eventually links with 8.4 libpq).  This feels like a very uncommon
> situation, but a possible gotcha.

(sorry I keep posting)
>This feels like a very uncommon situation
I take that back.  Not so sure it is uncommon, any threaded libpq app
would probably get bit if they called PQinitSSL.  On top of that, it
could take up to a year before complaints start rolling in, as 8.4 hits
the distros.  Yuck.

I now think the the orignal suggestion of PQinitSSLExtended is better
than PQinitCrypto.  With PQinitSSLExtended, PQinitSSL needs a minor
implementation adjustment but the behvior remains the same.  The
extended version is probably:

/* IMHO appending "Ex" is a little nicer */
void PQinitSSLEx(int ssl_init, int crypto_init);

/* PQinitSSL wraps PQinitSSLEx */
void PQinitSSL(int do_init)
{  PQinitSSLEx(do_init, do_init);
}

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC

От: Andrew Chernow
Сообщение: Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf