Re: Remote Connection

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: Remote Connection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been operating on localhost successfully for some time.
>
> I am now attempting to access a Postgresql 8.3 database installed on
> one of my other computers conneted through a router.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> My first attempts have been with Postgresql Admin.
> I changed host to the IP address of the computer and input the other info.
> I also ran - listen virtual; on the receiving server.
> It hasn't connected successfully. I get the message 'Server not listening'

presumably, when you say 'through a router', you mean, both client and
server systems are on the LAN side of the router, so its just  a local
area network?

A) make sure LISTEN_ADDRESS is * and not localhost in postgresql.conf

B) if the server has a firewall make sure you allow inbound port 5432/tcp

C) make sure pg_hba.conf on the postgres server has a line similar to...
    host all all     192.168.1.0/24     md5
where 192.168.1.* is the IP address of your local network.   md5 says to
use password authentication.