Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема Re: encoding of PostgreSQL messages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Can someone comment on this?
>
>> I think we have discussed more proper solutions earlier in this thread.
>>   IMO the best approach would be for the client to include the client
>> encoding in the startup package.
>
> Huh?  Clients already do that (or at least some are capable of it,

> including libpq).

What is a recommended way to do it using libpq, via "options" parameter
or "PGCLIENTENCOIDNG" environment value?

> The hard problems are (1) there's still a "before",
> ie we might fail before scanning the options in the packet, and (2)
> the sent encoding might itself be invalid, and you still have to report
> that somehow.
>
> I believe the only real "fix" is to guarantee that messages are sent
> as untranslated ASCII until we have sent an encoding indicator at
> the end of the startup sequence.  Which has its own pretty clear
> downside: no more translation of authorization failures.

I'm afraid I'm misunderstanding your point.
I'm thinking of the following steps in the backend code.

1.Set LC_MESSAGES to "C" until the client_encoding is
  determined.
2.When a client_encoding is specifed in the startup
  message, bind the corrsponding codeset to the
  textdomain and set LC_MESSAGES to the specified one
  in the startup message or restore the LC_MESSAGES
  overridden by step 1 before authorization step.
  Then we can see properly localized authorization
  failure messages.

3.Reset LC_MESSAGES to the current one in Initialize
  ClientEncoding() and unbind the codeset if necessary
  in SetDatabaseEncoding().

Comments?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue