Re: Slow database creation

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Slow database creation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Rob Richardson wrote:

> Can anyone explain why it would take 167 seconds to create a database?
> I am hoping that it's the same reason that data access is slowing our
> application by a factor of about 200.
>
> The customer's machines run Windows Server 2003.  My machine runs
> Windows XP Professional.  The application is written in C++.

I can think of three possible reasons:

1. Machine is very busy (check the performance monitoring, and perhaps
grab some sysinternals tools).
2. Locks on system tables (I'm guessing creating a database requires an
exclusive lock on various bits and pieces). Joining pg_locks to pg_class
via oid will show what's locked.
3. System tables / indexes are horribly bloated and need
vacuuming/reindexing. Try a vacuum verbose and see if it mentions lots
of unremovable rows on pg_database or pg_class or some such.

If it's none of the above then it'll require some proper investigation.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd