Re: Searching a gin index

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Searching a gin index
Дата
Список pgsql-general
James Dooley wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I have set my configuration as default and I have created a GIN index on
> three columns, like this
>
> create index textsearch_index on products using gin(strip( to_tsvector(
> 'my_config', title || '' || description || '' || name)))
>
> Searching these columns the way I have
>
> ... AND (title || '' || description || '' || name) @@ plainto_tsquery('car')
>
> seems not to be correct since it's taking as much time as non-indexed.

PG's planner isn't smart enough to transform a complex expression so as
to use a functional index (which is what you've got). You need to
mention the function explicitly.

So, if you had:
  CREATE INDEX lowercase_idx ON mytable ( lower(mycolumn) )
You then need to search against "lower(mycolumn)" and not just expect
the planner to notice that mycolumn="abc" could use the index.

The following should work for you as a starting point:

CREATE TABLE tsearch_tbl (id SERIAL, title text, body text,
PRIMARY KEY (id));

INSERT INTO tsearch_tbl (title, body)
SELECT 'title number ' || n, 'This is body number ' || n
FROM generate_series(1,9999) n;

ANALYSE tsearch_tbl;

CREATE INDEX tsearch_tbl_words_idx ON tsearch_tbl USING gin (
to_tsvector('english', title || body) );

EXPLAIN ANALYSE SELECT * FROM tsearch_tbl WHERE to_tsvector('english',
title || body) @@ to_tsquery('17');
                                                          QUERY PLAN

 Bitmap Heap Scan on tsearch_tbl  (cost=4.34..34.76 rows=10 width=45)
(actual time=0.067..0.067 rows=1 loops=1)
   Recheck Cond: (to_tsvector('english'::regconfig, (title || body)) @@
to_tsquery('17'::text))
   ->  Bitmap Index Scan on tsearch_tbl_words_idx  (cost=0.00..4.34
rows=10 width=0) (actual time=0.059..0.059 rows=1 loops=1)
         Index Cond: (to_tsvector('english'::regconfig, (title || body))
@@ to_tsquery('17'::text))
 Total runtime: 0.121 ms

Note that you'll have problems if any of your text-fields contain nulls
(since null || anything = null).

Personally, unless I'm dealing with a large table, I like to have a
separate tsvector column which I keep up to date with triggers. It makes
it easier to debug problems.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd