Re: can't connect to postmaster from other machine

От Walter Hop
Тема Re: can't connect to postmaster from other machine
Дата
Re: can't connect to postmaster from other machine  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-novice

>> psql: PQconnectPoll() -- connect() failed: Operation timed out
>>         Is the postmaster running (with -i) at '192.168.0.21'
>>         and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?

Hmmmm... at second thought, I think the "Operation timed out" might be due
to firewall rules instead (probably on the server box)?

A missing entry in pg_hba.conf gives this error:

  psql: No pg_hba.conf entry for host 1.2.3.4, user walter, database walter

And a postmaster that doesn't listen to the TCP port gives:

  psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused

This on the other hand is a "Operation timed out". FOlkeN, do you perhaps
have firewall rules in place on the server box? What happens if you use
psql from the server box to itself via TCP, using ``psql -h 127.0.0.1''?

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
 Updated contact information: http://www.binity.com/~walter/