Re: pgsql/src/backend/storage/smgr (md.c)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql/src/backend/storage/smgr (md.c)
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> Yes, but it is the cause of the problem that must be fixed.  This only
>> prevents errors from creating too many segments.

> Basically, if I'm understanding the problem from what Tom stated ... how
> can the client side request 'a block past the end of the table'?

It can't.  This patch just prevents md.c from going crazy as a
consequence of a bug elsewhere in the backend that causes higher
levels of the backend to request a garbage block number.

The patch doesn't fix the underlying problem (ie, whatever higher-level
bug might cause this); it just limits the extent of the bad
consequences...