Re: Logical insert/update/delete WAL records for custom table AMs

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Logical insert/update/delete WAL records for custom table AMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2021-11-05 at 10:00 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I am not talking about decoding plugin but rather decoding itself,
> basically, the work we do in reorderbuffer.c, decode.c, etc. The two
> things I remember were tuple format and transaction ids as mentioned
> in my previous email.

If it's difficult to come up with something that will work for all
table AMs, then it suggests that we might want to go towards fully
extensible rmgr, and have a decoding method in the rmgr.

I started a thread (with a patch) here:

https://postgr.es/m/ed1fb2e22d15d3563ae0eb610f7b61bb15999c0a.camel@j-davis.com

> I think we should try to find a solution for
> tuple format as the current decoding code relies on it if we want
> decoding to deal with another table AMs transparently.

Agreed, but it seems like we need basic extensibility first. For now,
we'll need to convert to a heap tuple, but later I'd like to support
other formats for the decoding plugin to work with.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis