Re: Typo.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Typo.
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed on this list before
>> and decided in favor of omitting the hyphenation in such cases.

> Hm, well, how about removing hypenation from
> "Internal query: the text of a failed internally-generated command",
> "procedural language functions and internally-generated queries",
> at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/protocol-error-fields.html
> and similar in other places?

They are both correct: it's just a matter of preference which one is used
in a particular place.  Any particular instance might be that way because
whoever wrote it always writes that way, or maybe they actually thought
about it and decided a hyphen did or didn't read better there.  (To my
taste, a hyphen is better if the phrase is being used as a compound
adjective, and otherwise probably not; but it's a minor thing.)  It's just
make-work to try to make all the many hundreds of places where we have
such wording 100% consistent; and I seriously doubt that it would create
any improvement in readability.

If you're looking to improve the docs, there are many places where the
English is actually pretty bad ... but this isn't one.