Re: incoherent view of serializable transactions

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: incoherent view of serializable transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>> "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> For most users, the artifacts that have been
> introduced by these fine-grained locks are outweighed by the
> performance benefits of greater concurrency - but, as you point out,
> not necessarily always.
That's what I don't understand.  I never did point that out.  I never
suggested it.  I never requested a change to the software.  I just
suggested that we document the artifacts.
Ah, well; thanks for the feedback.
> With respect to predicate locking, what you're describing is NOT
> predicate locking.
I never would have considered it to be such except for some people
insisting that a true serializable implementation is impossible
without predicate locking.  Either that assertion is false or this is
a form of predicate locking, crude as it might be.
> Maybe our
> documentation could say something along the lines of "PostgreSQL's
> MVCC framework and row-level locking permit a greater degree of
> concurrency than some other databases.  Even when the transaction
> isolation level is set to serializable, serialization anomalies can
> occur in the following situations.  When it is important to prevent
> these anomalies, explicit row-level or table-level locking can be
used
> at the expense of reduced concurrency."
That's responsive to my concern and nicely worded.  Thanks.
-Kevin

От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: incoherent view of serializable transactions
От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: incoherent view of serializable transactions