Re: Copy/delete issue

От Herouth Maoz
Тема Re: Copy/delete issue
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver wrote:

On Sunday 21 December 2008 1:49:18 am Herouth Maoz wrote:
Adrian Klaver wrote:
<Snip>

Are you sure the problem is not in "$datefield" = "*" . That the script
that formats the data file is not correctly adding "*" to the right file.
Seems almost like sometimes the second CMD is being run against the table
that the first CMD should be run on. In other words it is not doing a
complete delete , but a date based one, and you then import duplicate
records.
Thanks for your reply. The file containing the tables list is static -
it doesn't change from one run to the next (unless I edit it personally).

Herouth
Well something is not static :) You mentioned this happens only with one
table. Have you tried running your procedure against that table only?
Well, every time this happens, I re-run the procedure, with all the lines in the data files up to the given table deleted. And it works. Then I restore the original data file. And the next day it works. It only happens once in a while.
 Just
because a DELETE did not error does not mean it succeeded in the way you
wanted. You might want to throw a count() in the mix to see if you are really
clearing out the table the way you want to.
I wonder if there is a way to use the result of "count()" in \echo...
 Also is the actual data file static from one run to the next?
If you mean the data file that contains the list of tables, then yes. If you mean the data in the table itself, then no, the data changes - new records are added and old ones are updated.
 Would also help to see the schema for the
table involved and maybe a sample of the data, if that is possible.

A sample of the data would be a bit tricky, as this is customers' private information. But the table schema is:

CREATE TABLE web1010.users
(   user_id                     CHAR(32)        PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,   whitelabel_id               NUMERIC(21)     NOT NULL,   username                    VARCHAR(30)     NOT NULL,   password                    CHAR(32)        NOT NULL,   perms                       VARCHAR(255)    NOT NULL,   first_name                  VARCHAR(40)     NULL,   last_name                   VARCHAR(40)     NULL,   total_points                INTEGER         DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,   date_created                TIMESTAMP       NOT NULL,   date_birth                  TIMESTAMP       NULL,   gender                      INTEGER         NULL,   city_id                     NUMERIC(21)     NULL,   is_active                   SMALLINT        NOT NULL,   email                       VARCHAR(255)    NULL,   subscriptin_id              NUMERIC(21)     NULL,   subscriptin_num_of_msg      INTEGER         NULL,   subscriptin_date_start      TIMESTAMP       NULL,   subscriptin_sent_datetime   TIMESTAMP       NULL,   subscriptin_credit_left     INTEGER         NULL,   subscriptin_status          INTEGER         NULL,   subscriptin_sent_reference  NUMERIC(21)     NULL,   first_time_subscribed       VARCHAR(10)     NULL,   sms_credit                  INTEGER         NULL,   reg_pid                     NUMERIC(21)     NULL,   spam_fl                     SMALLINT        NULL,   constraint PK_USERS unique (whitelabel_id,username)
)
;

I suppose this doesn't happen with other tables in the process, because most other tables don't have two unique constraints in them - most only have the primary key. But still, if everything is deleted from the table, this should not be an issue...

I might take Dennis Brakhane's advice and replace the DELETE command with TRUNCATE, as I see no harm in doing so. Nevertheless, DELETE should either work or fail saying "could not delete because...". Otherwise PostgreSQL is not a very reliable...

Thanks,

Herouth