Re: Patch: Add support for execution of jobs on a remote database

От Ashesh Vashi
Тема Re: Patch: Add support for execution of jobs on a remote database
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave Page,

Dave Page wrote:
I haven't tested fully at this stage, just eyeball reviewed the code,
made sure it builds (on Windows) and checked out the UI. First
impression is that it's well thought out and nicely implemented.
Thanks
- The pgTable::HasColumn() static function seems like an unusual fit
in that class. Yes, it's a table object, but that class is primarily
concerned with representing a table in the treeview. It seems to me
that a non-static pgConn::TableHasColumn() function might make more
sense, and would probably look cleaner at the call sites.
make sense

- The database icon in dlgSelectDatabase seems to be missing (I just
get a blank space where it should be).
It is.
I will do the needful.

- The height of the connection string textbox is inconsistent with all
other textboxes. It should be sized as per the other one line text
boxes, and the button altered to match it.
sure

- Any new headers should be added to include/precomp.h (we all forget
to do that!)
Oops I did not know about that :(
I will certainly do it from now onwards.
- In pgAgent, why is connInfo declared as a struct and not a class?
Earlier, I wanted to use it as a storage for data like user, dbname, host, etc...
And hence declared it as a struct instead of class.
But later while implementation, I have introduced some function in it.

I will convert it to a class.

- pgAdmin seems to be able to handle connecting to an old-style schema
(which is good), but I didn't see any code in pgAgent to do similar. I
would suggest we do something like the following, which should allow
for future changes:
In fact in pgagent when you try to get the value from the given pgSet, if that column does not exist in the set, it will return a empty string.
Hence, I did not make any checks for columns exists or not.

If you say, I can go ahead and make the change for checking for column (jstconnstr) exists or not.

  * Add an SQL function pgagent_schema_version() which returns an int
(with a value of 3 for this version - we'll bump the package to
3.0.0).
I thought of this options too. :)
Shouldn't we return a text instead of integer x.x.x support?

This might be useful in future release too.
What everybody has to say?
 * Add a check to pgAgent in (MainLoop()) - upon setup of the primary
connection, if pgagent_schema_version() does not exist, then exit with
an error asking the user to upgrade the schema.
sure.
 * If it does exist, check the value it returns against MAJOR_VERSION
- a pre-processor macro we can set in cmake from
CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR - if it doesn't match, exit with an error
telling the user there is a schema version mismatch.
ok. sounds good.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:   http://www.enterprisedb.com