Re: timeout implementation issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: timeout implementation issues
Дата
Re: timeout implementation issues  (Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Jessica Perry Hekman <jphekman@dynamicdiagrams.com> writes:
> My other question was how to send the timeout value to the backend.

I would imagine that the most convenient way to handle it would be as
a SET variable:
SET query_timeout = n;

Establishes a time limit on subsequent queries (n expressed in
milliseconds, perhaps).
SET query_timeout = 0;

Disables query time limit.

This assumes that the query timeout should apply to each subsequent
query, individually, until explicitly canceled.  If you want a timeout
that applies to only one query and is then forgotten, then maybe this
wouldn't be the most convenient definition.  What semantics are you
trying to obtain, exactly?