Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

От KaiGai Kohei
Тема Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> To choose it on compile-time option is the most simple approach.
>>
>> As mentioned before, compile-time options to choose between these
>> variants in a mutually exlusive manner is not acceptable.
>>
>> Plus, using two of these together, or even three, is certainly useful
>> and reasonable in some uses.
>
> Sorry, we have been deep midnight for the last several hours.
>
> Packing two or more stuff into one field gives us several unignorable
> pains.
> I cannot agree this approach. One field should be hold one value.
> However, I found out it is an independent issue whether the feature should
> be enabled/disabled on compile-time.

If we cannot agree the compile-time enable/disable approach, I can prepare
to suggest a compromise draft.

This idea allows to compile two or more security mechanism in the same binary,
and adds a configuration parameter to choose a security mechanism on its startup
time. So, a single security mechanism chosen works in same time, but multiple
security mechanisms are built in compile time.
  For example, at $PGDATA/postgresql.conf    pgace_security = selinux    # for SE-PostgreSQL    pgace_security = rowacl
   # for row-level acl    pgace_security = solaristx  # for upcoming Trusted Solaris?

As Peter mentioned before, the reason why compile-time enable/disable approach
is not recommendable is packaging issue. It requires to deliver a single version
of binary package as far as possible. This idea does not conflict to the policy.

Again, I cannot think it is a good idea to pack several values into a field.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>