Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> I don't agree. What is the reason why? It has been unclear for me.
>
> The PGACE security framework is designed to allow users to choose
> an enhanced security mechanism from some of provided options.
> (Currently, we have sepgsql and rowacl.)
> It is quite natural that one is disabled when the other is enabled.

As a general rule, mutually exclusive features as compile-time option
should be avoided at all costs.  Since most people use binary packages,
forcing the packager to make such a choice will always make a lot of
people unhappy, or alternatively cause one of the features to bitrot.

As a secondary rule, mutually exclusive features should be avoided at
all, without a compelling reason.  I don't see such a reason here.