Re: creating a specialized version of turnkey postgresql (Re: adding postgis support to turnkey postgresql)

От Liraz Siri
Тема Re: creating a specialized version of turnkey postgresql (Re: adding postgis support to turnkey postgresql)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Brent,

By sheer coincidence, I just came across http://livecd.ominiverdi.org/
which may be exactly what you are looking for...

Included software:

* GRASS 6.3.0
* QGIS 0.11.0
* PostgreSQL 8.3.1
* PostGIS 1.3.1
* GDAL 1.5.0
* Proj 4.5.0
* R 2.4.1
* PgAdmin 1.6.3
* The win folder on the livecd, contains Win installer of many applications

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Liraz

Liraz Siri wrote:
> I think it could be done but this is kind of a specialized
> application that it is unlikely we will get in the near future, until we
> get the much more common applications out of our queue.
>
> Meanwhile you have several options: install the TurnKey PostgreSQL
> appliance into a virtual machine such as VMware, Virtual PC or
> VirtualBox, and then do the additional integration yourself. You could
> then burn the virtual appliance onto DVD and take it with you to work.
>
> If it's worth it to you, you could also hire one of our developers to
> customize TurnKey PostgreSQL and create a specialized appliance just for
> you.
>
> Cheers,
> Liraz
>
> Brent Wood wrote:
>> Sounds great, appreciated.
>>
>> I've just been running a DB workshop in Oman using Postgis & also QGIS & some other FOSS tools for them to set up &
managesome spatial databases. All went very well, with some enthusiasm for the freedom of FOSS solutions compared to
Oracle,ESRI, etc.

>> Which leads to my next question :-)
>>
>> One of the great advantages of Postgis in the situations I work in (mostly
maritime/fisheries/ecological/oceanographic),is that by adding apache & UMN mapserver you also have a complete &
powerfulweb mapserver compliant with OGC WMS & WFS Web Services to disseminate maps drawn from Postgis data.

>> I appreciate how easy it is to add these applications via apt-get, but as I found out in Oman, there are still
placesthat do not have good enough internet access to allow this, & I understood the whole point of the TurnKey project
wasto avoid such external requirements.

>> Do you think it feasible & reasonable that a TurnKey mapserver release could be implemented, basically by adding
mapserver,apache, php & php mapscript to the Postgis CD or Postgis/mapserver to the LAPP CD? They are not large
packages,and I think would fill a useful niche in line with the turnkey application goals of the TurnKey project.