Re: parallel restore vs. windows

От Andrew Chernow
Тема Re: parallel restore vs. windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> OK, after quite some trying I have hit a brick wall. I have been unable
> to get parallel restore to work with Windows threading. No doubt I am
> missing something, but I really don't know what. Unless someone can tell
> me what I am doing wrong, I have these possibilities:
>
>    * run parallel steps on Windows in separate processes rather than
>      threads, similar to what we do in the server, or
>    * disable parallel restore on Windows for now.
>

> Time is unfortunately running very short.
>
> Latest attempt is attached.

We use _beginthread.  I don't remember exactely how it broke, but it did.  Try
using the below instead of CreateThread.

// NOTE: if you don't need the returned handle, close it or
// leaks will occur.  Closing it doesn't kill the thread.
HANDLE h = (HANDLE)_beginthreadex(NULL, 0, thread_start, arg, 0, NULL);
if(h)  CloseHandle(h);
From MSDN:
"A thread in an executable that calls the C run-time library (CRT) should use
the _beginthread and _endthread functions for thread management rather than
CreateThread and ExitThread;"

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC