Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> I'm not the sort to be too concerned myself that
> the guy who thinks he's running a DW on a system with 64MB of RAM might
> get bad settings, but it's a fair criticism to point that out as a problem.

In defense of thinking about very small configurations, I've seen many
cases where an enterprise-software salesperson's laptop is running a
demo - either in a small virtual machine in the laptop, or on an
overloaded windows box.    Even though the customer might end up
running with 64GB, the sales demo's more likely to be 64MB.

In some ways, I'd be more interested in seeing automation of those than
the large production systems.   Large production systems are likely to
have an administrator who's paid to read the documentation and learn
how to configure the database.  OTOH there tends to be less DBA time
available to tune the smaller demo instances that come&go as sales
people upgrade their laptops; so improved automation would be much
appreciated there.