Re: Visibility map, partial vacuums

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Visibility map, partial vacuums
Дата
Re: Visibility map, partial vacuums  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Here's an updated version, with a lot of smaller cleanups, and using
> relcache invalidation to notify other backends when the visibility map
> fork is extended. I already committed the change to FSM to do the same.
> I'm feeling quite satisfied to commit this patch early next week.

Committed.

I haven't done any doc changes for this yet. I think a short section in
the "database internal storage" chapter is probably in order, and the
fact that plain VACUUM skips pages should be mentioned somewhere. I'll
skim through references to vacuum and see what needs to be changed.

Hmm. It just occurred to me that I think this circumvented the
anti-wraparound vacuuming: a normal vacuum doesn't advance relfrozenxid
anymore. We'll need to disable the skipping when autovacuum is triggered
to prevent wraparound. VACUUM FREEZE does that already, but it's
unnecessarily aggressive in freezing.