Re: Serial - last value

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Serial - last value
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hendra kusuma wrote:
> Hi there
> a little basic question here
>
> I usually use something like this in stored function
> to get the last value of a serial type column
>
> select last_value into ret from id_sequence
>> return ret
>
> What i'm asking is,
> if many people run the same stored function at the same time
> will they get the last_value they should really get
> or is there another way to code that can ensure they really get the right
> value

You should use the functional interface: SELECT currval('my_sequence').
That guarantees you the right value for your current session.

This only works if you've called nextval('my_sequence') at some point in
the current session (although that could be automatic for a column of
type SERIAL).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd