Re: Any risks in using FUNCTIONs (stored procedures) instead of raw sql queries?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Any risks in using FUNCTIONs (stored procedures) instead of raw sql queries?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 18:40 +0900, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>>
>>> I have googled but it looks like there's a whole variety of
>>> information from 2003 (when PG must have been quite different) until
>>> now--some people find stored functions slow for web based apps, others
>>> find it is worth the maintenance.
>> If your web servers are very close in network terms to your database
>> server, issue mostly non-trivial queries, and are on a low latency link,
>> it probably doesn't matter *that* much.
>
> For one query no... for a dynamic website that uses 100 - 200 queries to
> draw a page?

> 15ms * 200, 3000ms = 3 secs * 2 (both ways) = 6 seconds.

Exactly - that's why I mentioned that it probably didn't matter if the
app issued mostly non-trivial queries. It's unlikely that a couple of
hundred queries will mostly be non-trivial; most will be simple SELECT
something FROM atable WHERE key = value; .

It depends on the app. Some apps don't _need_ a couple of hundred
queries to obtain the data for a page. If you're only issuing five or
ten queries, the latency isn't going to be significant.

--
Craig Ringer