Standby reads fail when autovacuum take AEL during truncation

От Adrien NAYRAT
Тема Standby reads fail when autovacuum take AEL during truncation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello hackers,

I was faced on $SUBJECT  on an heavily updated table and the same table
heavily accessed on standby server.

I notice autovacuum try to take an AEL in lazy_truncate_heap(). On
primary we try during VACUUM_TRUNCATE_LOCK_WAIT_INTERVAL (50ms) and we
failed after several attempts.

But we do not have this mechanism on a standby, AEL could lock simple
SELECT during the RelationTruncate().

Please note, this can occurs even with hot_standby_feedback = on

I wonder how we can improve this? Maybe by introducing an option to
disable truncation for autovacuum on specific table?

Thanks!