Re: toast by chunk-end (was Re: PG_PAGE_LAYOUT_VERSION 5 - time for change)

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: toast by chunk-end (was Re: PG_PAGE_LAYOUT_VERSION 5 - time for change)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):

>>> The patch doesn't change the page layout AFAICS.
>>>

>> It is good question what is and what is not page layout. I think that
>> toast implementation is a member of page layout. OK it is called page
>> layout but better name should be On Disk Format (ODF). You will not
>> able to read 8.3 toasted table in 8.4.
>
> It's clearly just a catalog change; the number and meaning of attributes
> has changed, and that's reflected in CATALOG_VERSION_NO.

If I'm thinking more, it is not probably CATALOG_VERSION_NO as well. Because
toast table is created on demand. It is not in BKI.

Maybe we should add something like TOAST_VERSION.

Do we bump catalog version when AM bump version?
    Zdenek