Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Updated posix fadvise patch v19
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> The XXX is something that probably needs to be fixed but it's just a question
> of what header file to put a declaration in. I couldn't find a good choice but
> perhaps someone else has an idea?
>
> For the FIXMEs I don't have any problem leaving them in place. They're
> warnings to future coders working in the same area of what they may have to do
> to make the code more general. In particular both FIXMEs are related to memory
> management of the iterator structures. I think just allocating them in the
> bitmap memory context is fine for existing callers. I would rather leave them
> there because I would like a reviewer to double check that we don't have a
> memory leak there.

There are probably no rigid rules on this, but my interpretation of
these tags is usually this:

XXX -- not sure if this is the best way to do this, needs ideas
TODO -- specific ideas for improvement
FIXME -- broken, must be fixed to be usable

So committed code should probably not contain any FIXMEs, but possibly
some of the others.

I usually label stubs in work-in-progress code with // FIXME and then
check if I removed them all before proposing a patch for inclusion.

But those are just my ideas ...