List Ettiquette (perhaps Off Topic by now) was: Re: Database access over the Internet...

От charlie derr
Тема List Ettiquette (perhaps Off Topic by now) was: Re: Database access over the Internet...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2008, at 2:41 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
>> Am 2008-11-15 09:53:15, schrieb Scott Marlowe:
>>> What's mess up is that the solution given the user DOES work.  She
>>> just refuses to try it, because she assumes that the mailing list
>>> server doesn't see the exact same CC list as her email server.  Well,
>>> it does, and it then drops the message outbound for her so she ONLY
>>> gets it from the original sender.
>>
>> You did not understand the problem!!!!!!!!
>

>> My Mailbox which I use for my business is bombed by  over  50.000  spams
>> per day and I do already heavy filtering.  I have to read my mail  while
>> I am @work which mean, MOBILE using my cellphone connected to my Laptop.
>>
>> Since I read the List ove another channel AND already filtering  my  own
>> threads (and convert it into a form which is much smaller then  E-Mails)
>> to get rid of the rest from the list since I am subscribed to  over  120
>> mailinglists and need less then 3% from it...
>>
>> So, peoples now sending me PMs does not help, since it DoS my system and
>> make it harder for me to work since I have to walk through this messages
>> I do not need because I have it already seen.
>
> Well, go away then.
>
> If you are too cheap to receive emails in answer to your questions,
> stop asking questions.
>
> This is not a support channel you should consider using until you
> learn enough courtesy and basic competence with email to interact
> in public.
>
> Cheers,
>   Steve

I don't think that what Michelle is asking is unreasonable.   While certainly not a universal "standard" a significant
subsetof
mailing lists definitely support the view that personal replies are unneccessary (and many lists forbid/discourage
them).

I also think (based on what I've read from Michelle here and on other lists) that it'd be a drag to lose the
participationof
someone who has often contributed interesting viewpoints/information to technical discussions.

In my view, anything that causes people to check more closely about exactly where a reply is being sent is a good
thing.

    be well,
        ~c