Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

От Guy Rouillier
Тема Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrus wrote:
> I have separate production server running
>
> "PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0,
> pie-8.7.9)"

This is a bad idea.  I run Gentoo at home on a workstation, and I like
the approach it uses.  But it is really targeted to the individual user
who likes to be on the bleeding edge.  *Everything* on Gentoo is
compiled from source; that's the whole point of the distribution.  This
is not what you want in a production platform in a business environment.

You should be looking at a distribution that has a support package (even
if you elect not to use it), a minimum number of years that each version
will be supported, and a predictable maintenance schedule.  You have
many to choose from: Redhat and its free derivatives like CentOS, Ubuntu
with its supported releases, etc.

To answer your question directly, you won't find a prepackaged solution
to running simultaneous version of PG (or any other software package) on
Gentoo.  That's not how Gentoo is designed to be used.  Having said
that, I remember reading about slots, which may allow what you are
trying to do.  But I've never investigated.

--
Guy Rouillier