Re: RAM-only temporary tables

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: RAM-only temporary tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> What's happening is that there is simply so many temporary tables in
>> pg_class that when the new backend tries to clear them with
>> RemoveTempRelations, it runs out of lock space.
>
> What happened to the original owner of the tables?  It must have had
> locks on all those tables ...

It's pretty easily reproducible with this:

postgres=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION createtemps (iters int4) RETURNS
VOID LANGUAGE plpgsql AS $$
DECLARE i int4;
BEGIN  i := 0;  WHILE i < iters LOOP    EXECUTE  'CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE "dummytemp' || i || '_' ||
random() ||'" (id int4)';    i := i + 1;  END LOOP;
END;
$$;
CREATE FUNCTION
postgres=# SELECT createtemps(7000); createtemps
-------------

(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT createtemps(7000); createtemps
-------------

(1 row)

postgres=# \q
$ psql postgres
psql (8.4devel)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE footemp(id int4);WARNING:  out of
shared memory
ERROR:  out of shared memory
HINT:  You might need to increase max_locks_per_transaction.
postgres=#

In this case, the temp tables are created in two separate transactions,
which is why the creations don't run out of shared memory. But when
they're later dropped, the new backend tries to grab a lock on all of
them at the same time.

I'm not quite sure how I got into that situation with my test case. I
might have run the test case without a BEGIN/COMMIT at first, while
developing the test script, so that all the thousands of temp tables
were created in separate transactions.

Сообщение: Re: RAM-only temporary tables
Сообщение: Re: RAM-only temporary tables