Re: WIP: Page space reservation (pgupgrade)

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: WIP: Page space reservation (pgupgrade)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris napsal(a):
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 2008, at 8:35 PM, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>>> That's my question.  Why is this needed at all?
>> I suspect this is to deal with needing to reserve space in a cluster that
>> you're planning on upgrading to a new version that would take more space,
>> but I think the implementation is probably too simplistic.
>
> Well, if that's what it is, I think it's a fairly poor design
> decision.  When I upgrade Oracle, SQL Server, or MySQL, I don't need
> to plan the amount of free space in my blocks a year or more before an
> upgrade.  In fact, I don't have to plan it at all... it's completely
> handled by the in-place upgrade.

It will be handled by PostgreSQL as well. The patch is about mechanism and
configuration which will be used by in-place upgrade without any user activity.
Only what user will have to do is run pg_upgrade_prepare() or something like
this and when database will be ready then user can do upgrade.
    Zdenek

Сообщение: Re: WIP: Page space reservation (pgupgrade)
Сообщение: Re: WIP: Page space reservation (pgupgrade)