Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>> So - it's potentially even worth compressing the wire protocol for use
>> on a 100 megabit LAN if a lightweight scheme like LZO can be used.
>
> LZO is under the GPL though.

Good point. I'm so used to libraries being under more appropriate
licenses like the LGPL or BSD license that I completely forgot to check.

It doesn't matter that much, anyway, in that deflate would also do the
job quite well for any sort of site-to-site or user-to-site WAN link.

--
Craig Ringer