Performance of views

От Simon Windsor
Тема Performance of views
Дата
Re: Performance of views  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi

Generally, I have avoided using VIEWS within application code and only
used them for client interfaces, the sole reason being the performance
of views against tables.

Changes to database over the past few years appear to have improved the
performance of views, but I am still not comfortable with using VIEWS
within application code. The main reasons I have are

   * Data within a view is not necessary sequential, unlike a table
   * Higher overhead mapping to original tables and indexes
   * Danger of linking views and tables and not utilising utilising
     underlying tables properly.

Am I right to avoid to VIEWS within application code?

Simon

--
Simon

Simon Windsor