Re: Well done, Hackers

От Emmanuel Cecchet
Тема Re: Well done, Hackers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> "Well done"? It seems to me that we are right where we hoped not to be,
> ie with a ton of barely-completed (if not self-admitted WIP) patches
> dropped on us immediately before feature freeze.  Today the commit fest
> idea is looking like a failure.

If you don't want patches coming at given deadlines then yes the commit
fest idea is a bad idea altogether. But what is the real issue?
- The core team is too small to absorb contributions or the development
is not distributed enough?
- There are not enough guidelines or requirements for a patch to make it
to the commit fest?
- There is not enough QA manpower/test cases to test the patches
efficiently?
- Lack of roadmap? Hard to guess what contributions are going to come?

What are your views on how the process could be improved? If the commit
fest does not work, what should we do instead?

I think that complaining after volunteer contributors is the best way to
not get any more contributions and have nice empty commit fests in the
future. Maybe that's the way to go to solve the issue at hand! ;-)

manu

--
Emmanuel Cecchet
FTO @ Frog Thinker