Re: 8.3 GSS Issues

От Henry B. Hotz
Тема Re: 8.3 GSS Issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Oct 27, 2007, at 1:36 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> If this isn't fixed then PG will never be a supported infrastructure
>> service at JPL the way MySQL currently is.  I had hoped to use the
>> GSSAPI support as a feature to pry some people away from MySQL, but
>> without the ability to integrate into a multi-realm infrastructure
>> this
>> won't fly.  Of course even with proper support it still may never
>> happen, so that isn't a threat.
>
> Sure, but that's no reason to pull it from 8.3 if it can only be fixed
> in 8.4. It's a good reason to work towards having it fixed in 8.3,
> certainly, but not a reason to pull it if it isn't there.
>
> FWIW, I'm fairly certain I can have a match_realm parameter done
> for beta3.

A brief inspection suggests the relevant code from my original patch
would work with very little modification.  It supports what I need to
support.

*I* have no need for a "match_realm" parameter as long as realm
matching *is* done and can be done on a per-user basis.  Obviously it
would be convenient for some other people if realm matching could be
disabled or a non-default realm could be made the default and
required.  I just don't want such "extras" to create security holes
(by equating different users) or prevent support of the full user pool.