Re: Yet another infrastructure problem

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Yet another infrastructure problem
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2008 04:04:08 Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> All of the linux distributions had their fair share of "breaking stuff
>> with security/point updates/upgrades" and if hardware breaks it doesn't
>> matter if we run BSD, Linux or Windows.
>>

> good point, we should switch to solaris! :-D

*cough* :P

Guys we seem to have this argument every 3-6 months. I know that I have
started on my own once or twice. So for the sake of everyone's bandwidth
and time let me just break it down.

PostgreSQL.Org uses a FreeBSD architecture. To my knowledge there are
only two exceptions to this, one of which will go away by the end of the
month. Don't ask for linux -- you aren't going to get it.

We use jails. Deal with it.

We do have problems with the infrastructure but they are being dealt
with as time and resources allow. That being said, the infrastructure
design in terms of the base technologies is set.

In short, yes I would like to see us move to all Linux. Debian or Ubuntu
Hardy would be my choice. However, that is not going to happen. So I
have accepted that I will learn/be a FreeBSD admin. I can deal with
that, FreeBSD although a tad weird for SysV guys is a good OS and it
solves the problem we are trying to solve.

I use to buy into the argument of ... if we had Linux more people would
be willing to help. That argument is crap. People will help if they want
to help. They will learn what they need to help. Those that say, "if you
were running linux I would help" have a good heart but aren't people
that are really going to help in the long run anyway.

So can we just put on the Wiki that this is the way it is? That way the
next time it comes up, we just point.

Joshua D. Drake

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: