Re: psql Feature request \set query

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: psql Feature request \set query
Дата
Re: psql Feature request \set query  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> If you want full scripting, look at pgscript, one of this summers gsoc
> projects. It'll ship in the next pgadmin and is also available as a
> standalone executable.

Yet another language?

What people asking for psql scriptability really want, in my estimate,
is the ability to write "SQL plus some control structures" anywhere, in
the server, in the client, or so that they don't have to know where.
Commercial vendors have that: Oracle has PL/SQL as server-side language
and client-side language.  Microsoft has T-SQL.  The others have similar
offerings.

What PostgreSQL has in one kind of extended SQL language in the
terminal, another kind of extended SQL language in the server (but
really two separate languages, one for functions, one outside of
functions), and now yet another kind of extended SQL language in the
GUI, each mutually wildly incompatible.  And neither is based on a standard.

Something to think about ...

Сообщение: Re: psql Feature request \set query
Сообщение: Re: psql Feature request \set query