Re: Logical replication can be broken by domain constraint with NOTVALID option

От Andrey Lepikhov
Тема Re: Logical replication can be broken by domain constraint with NOTVALID option
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On 03/11/2019 20:42, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrey Lepikhov <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>> The reason for this problem is that on UPDATE walsender sends old tuple
>> value (that violates the constraint) with new version (satisfied the
>> constraint).
>> Replication worker at replica node restores slot from transfer
>> representation. During this process domain checking constraint and
>> returns an ERROR.
>
> I'm not sure this is something we should attempt to fix.  There are
> an infinite number of ways you can break logical replication by
> presenting it with inconsistent data, and that's really what you've
> done here.

This problem reproduced by standard way from the documentation. I assume
this inconsistency option is allowed by SQL standard because it has a
practical usage.

>> This problem can be solved by many ways and approaches. I wrote the
>> patch to solve this problem (see in attachment) by the shortest way.
>
> That patch is certainly utterly unacceptable.  It'd allow the
> receipient to accept data that violates the domain constraint.

If this is the only reason, I propose a new version of the patch (see in
attachment). It is satisfy the "Paranoid safety" rule.

> The situation you're describing would probably best be handled by
> not adding the constraint on the replica side until all the
> bad data has been corrected (and replicated).

On any PostgreSQL-based multimaster system, this will be a problem.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov

Вложения